The facts were these:
- one David Tennant (also known as the Doctor/Ten) would be playing the lead role in the RSC production of Hamlet (quite probably my favorite of Shakespeare’s plays) in the fall of 2008.
- that very same semester, I would be studying abroad in Europe! (location: TBD)
- so a friend fellow Doctor Who/David Tennant fanatic who lives in England bought us tickets as soon as they were available in October (of 2007)
- in December 2007, I bought my plane ticket to London
- August 21, 2008 we sat mere feet from the thespian greatness of David Tennant (and Patrick Stewart, should you be interested).
- it was brilliant.
- (we did wait outside to possibly see him emerge – but alas, there were two stage doors and while we had the occasion to see Horatio and some of the other cast, Mr. Tennant and Mr. Stewart were sadly missed)
So, needless to say, when I discovered that the RSC production was going to be made into a film, I was excited. It was aired in the UK this past winter, but at long last it is to be released on DVD in the States this week! If you are at all a fan of Hamlet, the bard, or David Tennant, I would heartily recommend you avail yourself of the opportunity to watch this production.